QUICK GUIDE: How to Get Your MA Non-Resident License to Carry

QUICK GUIDE: How to get your MA Non-Resident License to Carry

For those folks that live in the states that border Massachusetts and carry a concealed firearm, it is good practice to obtain a MA Non-Resident License to Carry. This is especially true if you wish to pass through the state without issue or make any substantial stops within the state. There have been some recent changes to the process that you need to be aware of so be sure to continue reading.


Just like with the process we outlined in our post on How to Get Your Massachusetts License to Carry the process is pretty straight forward:

  1. Take an Approved Basic Firearms Safety Course, such as our MA Gun Safety Course, from a certified instructor.
  2. Download and complete the application
  3. Send it in to the Firearms Record Bureau and wait to receive notification of your appointment being scheduled
  4. Show up and complete the process.

Like I said… pretty simple. The only real hitch is the fact that you need to renew your MA Non-Resident License to Carry every year… which will cost you $100.

You can get the application here.


Ah yes…. license to carry restrictions. They happen to be the bane of many a gun owner here in Massachusetts.

Some of the restrictions that are possible are: 

  • NONE – the LTC is issued for all lawful purposes with no restrictions. Applicant must show good reason to fear injury to his person or property.
  • EMPLOYMENT – restricts possession to business owner engaged in business activities or to an employee while engaged in work related activities, and maintaining proficiency, where the employer requires carry of a firearm (i.e. armored car, security guard, etc.). Includes travel to and from activity location.
  • TARGET & HUNTING – restricts possession to the purpose of lawful recreational shooting or competition; for use in the lawful pursuit of game animals and birds; for personal protection in the home; and for the purpose of collecting (other than machine guns). Includes travel to and from activity location
  • SPORTING – restricts possession to the purpose of lawful recreational shooting or competition; for use in the lawful pursuit of game animals and birds; for personal protection in the home; for the purpose of collecting (other than machine guns); and for outdoor recreational activities such as hiking, camping, cross country skiing, or similar activities. Includes travel to and from activity location.
  • NO CARRY OUTSIDE RESTRICTION – allows possession of a firearm in MA provided the firearm is unloaded and locked in a container; licensee may possess and use firearm during restricted activity (employment, target, hunting, sporting) and during travel to and from activity location.

So what can be done?

There are really two solutions to this:

  1. Be able to show a good reason to fear for your life or property
  2. Have a license to carry in your home state.

Let’s break in to this a bit.

  1. If you have a concealed carry permit in your home state you more likely than not have already been vetted to the N’th power regarding your suitability to lawfully carry a firearm. That being said… it is highly unlikely that the MA Firearms Records Bureau will deny or restrict your MA Non-Resident License to Carry. This is due to the fact that they would have to argue that somehow you’re incapable of carrying a firearm in Massachusetts, but can do so within your home state.
  2. Be able to show a good reason! Have you been the victim of a violent crime? Do you carry large sums of cash or expensive equipment? Do you work as a firearms instructor? Do you own a business in Massachusetts.

Either of these reasons are helpful in getting your MA Non-Resident License to Carry. The bottom line is you do need to show a need or otherwise position yourself as there being zero reason for being denied the license.


It will cost you $100 to for your initial application. As a non-resident, you will have to renew your license to carry every year as well… which will cost you $100. The good news is you will be able to renew this license by mail for the next four years after your initial application. The sixth year will require you to apply in person again to renew.

Pain in the ass? Yep. But… you will be able to carry your concealed firearm in Massachusetts which will be worth its cost.


You will have your own reasons to get your MA Non-Resident License to Carry. The bottom line is you will not be able to get the process going until you decide to make the commitment to get it. Is it a process… but if you need help, let us know and we will guide you along!

Any Questions?

Do you have questions about getting your MA Non-Resident License to Carry? Leave your questions in the comment box or fill out a contact form below and we will answer them! Also don’t forget to share!

Robert Curran

Rob is co-owner of Tactical Dynamics Firearms Training and is a USMC veteran and active Law Enforcement Officer. Rob is a Sig Sauer Master Rated Firearms Instructor and holds several other ratings from various institutions.

  • Rick
    Posted at 17:18h, 02 February Reply

    “Have a license to carry in your home state.”

    That did not seem to come into play at my interview. Nor did the other permits that I have, that I had a MA LTC for 401 years, and the training that I had.

    It was emphasized that the “need” would have to be “current”. although historical events would be taken into account.

    After 3 1/2 months, I got my unrestricted non-res LTC. Yay!

  • Rick
    Posted at 17:19h, 02 February Reply

    Sorry, That should have been “41 years”, not “401 years”.

  • Daniel R Vossler
    Posted at 08:37h, 05 February Reply

    Hi Rob,
    Glad to see you guys are doing well with Tac Dyn, I was a student of your from previous years. Mostly from when King 33 was open. Last February I took the NRA Instructors course as well as the MA course and have yet to do anything with getting my MA LTC. Is there a time limit from when i take the course to when i apply.? Do i have to take the MA course again.?

    • Rob Curran
      Posted at 09:45h, 05 February Reply

      Hi Dan,

      You should be good to go. Let me know if you need any assistance with your certificate.


      • Daniel R Vossler
        Posted at 19:10h, 05 February Reply

        Awesome, Yes, i will if needed. I’m hoping with warmer weather around the corner i will have more time for training. Stay in the fight.

  • Neil Laudon
    Posted at 15:46h, 05 February Reply

    I have LTC in my home state that is unrestricted however Ma only issued me a large capacity with sporting restriction.
    I also have full LTC in Ct Ut. NH. RI.

    • Rob Curran
      Posted at 15:13h, 07 February Reply

      When did you apply and receive your Non-Resident?

  • Mike lemnon
    Posted at 08:00h, 23 March Reply

    I had a f.id. for over 20 years. I went for the up grade to a l.t.c. took the course and applied. Took about 12 months to get it . But it’s restricted to sporting . Now it’s 6 years later and I want to remove restrictions, but need a real good resin. Don’t know what to say. It’s a trap . They think you want the up grade because your going to kill some one. And the same when you buy a gun . .
    What should I do . ???

  • Paul
    Posted at 23:06h, 10 May Reply

    Have an RI CCW and live in RI but work in Mass… I’m going to try to get my non-resident carry license if I get it can I carry my gun that is legal to carry in RI but is banned In Mass? My EDC has an 11 round capacity.

    • Jeff S
      Posted at 22:10h, 21 January Reply

      Hi Paul, At this time there are no handgun’s I’m aware of that are inherently “banned” in MA with the exception of certain pistols as defined in various “assault weapons” definitions. So even if you have a brand-new Glock you can still carry it in MA provided you have an unrestriced non-resident LTC even though a MA resident can not – generally speaking – purchase one in the state. That being said, magazine capacity limits still apply, so the question I have would be is when you reference 11 rounds, are we talking 10+1 (ten in the mag and one in the pipe), or 11 in the magazine itself? If the magazine itself holds more than 10 rounds you would be in violation of MA law.

  • Denise Doucette
    Posted at 13:43h, 27 May Reply

    Asking for my boyfriend…he owns a business in mass, but lives and has a concealed carry in N.H. is there an expidtied process for business owners at all? And we heard it takes about 6 months to get a mass concealed carry.. and does he need to take any classes as a requirement?

  • Devin S
    Posted at 20:50h, 10 October Reply


    I applied for my Non-Resident LTC May 2018 and had an interview in July but I am still waiting for something, anything to come in the mail. I have called them only 2 times during this whole process and the only thing I am told is it will take 90 days and my application is in Review status. My main reason for wanting my LTC is for work purposes which I have provided a letter from my employer stating the need. As far as I am concerned there is nothing that would disqualify me. Is it normal to take this long? Or should I take another step? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to anyone who responds to this.

  • Juan Colon
    Posted at 19:58h, 14 February Reply

    I need guidance on how to buy, have, own, carry hidden. I have read about the LEOSA law but I have doubts. please help…..I’m State Police Officer in Puerto Rico and my family live in Massachusetts. I travel frequently to this state.

  • Dutch H
    Posted at 23:21h, 28 February Reply

    I own a home in MA but I am not an MA resident (not intending to become one either). I want to bring my double barrel coach gun, one I allready own, with me for home defense. Is there a process for that.

  • CW Vandal
    Posted at 00:41h, 26 May Reply

    I am a CT resident with a CT Permit to Carry. I own a business with multiple location in Massachusetts that I travel in between on a regular basis. I also carry significant amounts of cash from these businesses. What would you suggest for a reason for requesting an non restricted non-resident LTC?

  • Michael Yacovino Sr
    Posted at 08:29h, 09 July Reply

    Resident of Florida with a concealed carry permit. Want to know what I have to do to carry,passing through Mass.

  • Raymond Quackenbush
    Posted at 21:39h, 11 July Reply

    I am a NYS firearms instructor for a law enforcement agency. I’m also an instructor for a private company which gives Fla/Utah ccw. I want to know where I can take the Instructors course to become a Mass. instructor

  • Keith maxwell
    Posted at 09:58h, 18 July Reply

    I live in Texas I took a mass handgun training course 5 or 6 year ago I still have the paper does it expire? I have a license to carry Texas but may be moving back to ma and would like to get a Ma chl

  • Mike DiBiasio
    Posted at 13:24h, 09 August Reply

    I am an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor with a permit to carry concealed in RI. Is there an exemption for me not to have to take the MA firearms course?

  • German Pereira
    Posted at 22:52h, 10 August Reply

    So I do have a LTC from Massachusetts I did moved and became a Virginia resident. Can I still carry in Massachusetts if I go there?

  • William Arsenault
    Posted at 20:48h, 02 September Reply

    I am 66 years old and have a LTC permit in NH but NH is a constitutional Carry state. I have applied for a Unrestricted Mass LTC permit and have a appointment scheduled in 3 weeks for my interview.. I don’t have anything in my background that would be a problem. I have been employed by a major supermarket for 47 years, I was a grocery manager for them for 35 years and I’m now semiretired still working part time for them. I have been happily married to my high school sweetheart for the last 45 years and we have a 34 year old son. I got 2 signed character references from 2 separate people to show my character and my even tempered demeanor and that I don’t do drugs or never drink to excess. I have written some detailed notes on what I want to say for reasons to get a LTC. I have had a good amount of gun safety training and have taken 5 full courses in gun use,, gun safety, and concealed carry training. I have been carrying concealed in NH where I live and work for past year and a half . I have a membership at a local Gun Range where I practice using my Handgun to improve my marksmanship. The main reason for wanting a Mass LTC permit is for personal protection because of my age and smaller physical condition , being in a vulnerable population and I have fear for my life. I don’t want my wife or me to be victims of a deadly assault. I am my only defender, no one is coming to save me. The police can’t help me in time. I travel back and forth from the NH border where I live and into Mass where my wife and I still have many friends and family living there and go to visit as well as lots of restaurants and places in Mass that we like to go to but because of our age ,we don’t feel safe. While I don’t have any specific reason for wanting to obtain a Mass LTC other than the reasons I’ve just stated above, is there anything else I can say that will help me in the interview . I really want my Mass unrestricted LTC to be able to travel to and from Mass and be in compliance with the laws. Thank you

    • Stewart Renkowitz
      Posted at 08:59h, 11 February Reply

      Did you ever get the Mass LTC? If so was it unrestricted? How long did the whole process take? Thanks.

      • Michael DiBiasio
        Posted at 07:00h, 12 February Reply

        I did, it took a couple of months to schedule the interview. A couple of hours to drive to Chelsea. The interviewer was pleasant and gracious. He took my photos and asked some questions. He granted me the unrestricted permit which took about 6 weeks to get by mail.

        • Stewart Renkowitz
          Posted at 08:22h, 12 February Reply

          That is GREAT news! Congrats. My interview is scheduled for March 3rd and I will be 66 on March 5th. I live in Vermont and my property boarders the Mass state line and I work in Massachusetts. A good interview sure would be a nice birthday present.

      • Michael DiBiasio
        Posted at 09:53h, 12 February Reply

        I do think your chances of success lie with the attitude of the interviewer towards firearms in general. Some are very pro gun, others are very anti-gun and some are middle of the road.

  • Patrick Harden
    Posted at 19:51h, 24 September Reply

    I am a Florida resident with a ccw in Fl.. I work in Mass and I just got my non resident License to carry. Can I buy a new gun in Mass?

    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 10:14h, 13 December Reply

      Hello Patrick. Sorry it has taken so long to respond. Here’s what I got off the Mass.gov website. I think you should contact the numbers below regarding this question. I wouldn’t want to give you bad information, specifically because I don’ t know what they are referring to as “authorization.”

      Non-residents may not purchase guns or ammunition in Massachusetts without authorization. To obtain a non-resident License To Carry or a non-resident permit to possess handguns, contact the Criminal History Systems Board (CHSB ) Firearms Support Services (617) 660-4780.

  • John Russo
    Posted at 10:08h, 04 December Reply

    Can anyone tell me if the NRA Basic Pistol Course (which includes live fire qualification) is an acceptable training course to apply for a MA CCW permit? Or must you take a course in MA? Thank you.

  • Michael DiBiasio
    Posted at 19:48h, 04 December Reply

    It is but it must be administered by an instructor that is certified by the state of Massachusetts. I live in Rhode Island and have been (and currently am) an NRA Certified Pistol Instructor for over 40 years.. Massachusetts would not recognize this and I was required to take the exact same course I teach from an instructor who was certified by Massachusetts to obtain my Massachusetts permit to carry. My instructor lives in RI (he/she does not have to be a Massachusetts resident to teach the course).

  • Brian Amaral
    Posted at 10:29h, 07 January Reply

    I did have a MA. CWP I moved to SC. I do have A SC .permit and a Utah
    I also have My HR218.
    SEEING THAT Mass. Is near a communist state now will they honor an HR218?

    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 11:02h, 08 January Reply

      Hello. You are covered under LEOSA in all states, including MA.

  • David Rossborough
    Posted at 18:52h, 12 February Reply

    Hi Rob
    I am currently living in Ma and have an LTC but I also have a house in Florida and am thinking of becoming a Florida resident for income and estate tax benefits. I am going to keep my residence in Ma as well
    My question is do I need to change my Ma LTC to a non resident if I become a legal resident of FLORIDA
    Thanks Dave

    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 12:53h, 17 February Reply

      Yes you will. The MA LTC is only for full-time MA residents.

  • Tony Fernandes
    Posted at 22:02h, 15 March Reply

    I have a FL ltc and FL driver license . I snowbird and still own a house in Massachusetts where I also have a FID from before I became a FL resident how do I apply for a LTC in Massachusetts as a resident? Or as a nonresident? Being that I still have a home in Massachusetts. Thank you

    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 14:04h, 17 March Reply

      Hello Tony. Wherever you live 51% of the time is your primary residence. Most people go off of what they carry for a driver’s license. We know that plenty of people who live in FL and only part-time in MA have applied and gotten a MA permit, but it could cause some issues. If you have a MA driver’s license, you can try for the permit. Otherwise you might have to go get a non-resident MA LTC. If want to talk it over, you can give our Director of Training James Wise a call at 781-492-7446. Thanks.

  • Jorge
    Posted at 21:48h, 31 March Reply

    I recently applied for my CT LTC where I used to live. Currently I live in Springfield, i am a veteran and I want to know what I can do to get the LTC here being that I’ll be going through ct and Mass a lot. And what will you recommend I get permit wise

    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 13:17h, 02 April Reply

      So if your current residence is in Springfield, you can apply with Springfield PD for your license. You should contact them first as you might be able to present your DD14 papers as proof of instruction. If they accept them you should be good to go. If not, you’ll have to take some MA gun safety course from a licensed instructor. As far as the CT license, you will likely have to go through the out-of-state license process for them since your primary residence is in MA.

  • Joseph Dixon
    Posted at 03:48h, 12 April Reply

    Hope to see more posts from you!

  • Scott A Sesen
    Posted at 14:24h, 02 June Reply

    When I lived in Massachusetts, I had a Class A Concealed Carry permit. I moved to New Hampshire 5 years ago and my Mass permit expired in 2017. Since I was already licensed in Mass, do they have all my information like passing the safety course and fingerprints and do they need to do an interview to issue me a non resident permit?


    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 12:57h, 03 June Reply

      Hello. Since the MA license expired you will have to redo the safety course and application process. You’ll need to follow the non-resident license procedures as well. Thanks.

  • Dennis Sheehan
    Posted at 13:14h, 03 August Reply

    Hello-I am currently a TN. resident with my ccw. I lived in Ct. where I still maintain a ccw ! I plan on traveling thru Ma. in the summertime to a camper and would like to be “legal”! Is there any good reason besides personal and family safety I could present or would that be good to get my non resident permit ?

  • Kevin Macdonald
    Posted at 08:58h, 09 September Reply

    I moved to New Hampshire 3 years ago and previously had a license to carry in mass, unfortunately I stupidly let it expire! I still work in mass and with current events in the country right now I’m thinking I need to renew in mass for when I’m in work! I do have a current Ltc in new Hampshire! How do I apply for renew in mass?

    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 09:44h, 09 September Reply

      Since your license has expired you’ll likely have to re-do the process for the MA license. For an out-of-state permit you’ll need to take a safety course and apply for the license with the Firearms Records Bureau.

  • Kevin Halloran
    Posted at 14:42h, 06 October Reply

    I have a Class A unrestricted MA permit good till 2025 and currently live in MA but will be moving to NH where I have non-resident pistol permit. Can I apply for a non-resident MA permit before I fully move to avoid having to take the course again and does it make the process any easier? Once I move I assume I have to give up my MA permit but there is a period where I can still be in NH and have my MA drivers license, 60 days.. Wondering how the application works during the gray area of transitioning to another state? I will still be working at the same job in MA and commuting daily. Thank you in advance.

    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 12:54h, 08 October Reply

      I doubt that you’d have to retake the course or anything like that were you to reapply for the non-resident permit. I’d contact the Firearms Records Bureau and find out what they’d like you to do once you move. They’d be handling the non-resident license so it would be good to reach out to them.

  • Richard A Mugavero
    Posted at 17:37h, 26 October Reply


    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 22:47h, 26 October Reply

      Hello. Since you are no longer a MA resident, your MA LTC is no longer valid. You’ll need to reapply for a non-resident license if you want to bring your gun into MA. I recommend contacting the Firearms Records Bureau and seeing what they would want to do since the move was recent. They may not require you to take the license course, but I can’t say for sure.

  • Richard A Mugavero
    Posted at 17:39h, 26 October Reply


  • R White
    Posted at 10:47h, 01 December Reply

    Am a Colorado resident with Conceal Carry Permit for Colorado. Purchased a second in Boston. Can’t seem to find out how to be qualified for LTC in MA without becoming a Boston/MA resident, which I won’t be doing. What I find is that in order to apply for a LTC in MA, I need a MA ID card. I went to the RMV and they said to get a MA ID card I need to relinquish my CO Driver’s license, which I won’t do. CO is my domicile and Boston only vacation/2nd home. Any advice?

    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 13:31h, 01 December Reply

      Hello. You can apply for an out-of-state license if you are going to keep CO as your primary residence. Just go to mass.gov and look for the out-of-state license procedure. You’d need to take a MA firearms safety course and then apply. Hope that helps.

  • Samuel Benedict.
    Posted at 10:42h, 20 December Reply

    I have not received my renewal from Mass. I sent my renewal in September. It is now December. By the time I get it ,it will be up for renewal
    Sam Benedict

    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 16:42h, 21 December Reply

      Hello. You are technically covered with regards to licensing as long as your license has been submitted for renewal. I would hesitate to carry your firearm until the license has been renewed, but you shouldn’t run into any issues regarding possession or anything like that.

  • Michael DiBiasio
    Posted at 11:13h, 20 December Reply

    I’m in the same situation. I also sent mine in in September. I called and they said it could take up to another 90 days.

    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 16:42h, 21 December Reply

      Hello. You are technically covered with regards to licensing as long as your license has been submitted for renewal. I would hesitate to carry your firearm until the license has been renewed, but you shouldn’t run into any issues regarding possession or anything like that.

  • Stephen George Lamade
    Posted at 11:47h, 06 January Reply

    I’m a New York resident but own a home with my wife in MA. My wife is a MA resident who has a MA LTC. Her rationale when she applied was that she works in the courts as a forensic psychologist and comes into frequent contact with prisoners..

    I would like to know if you would consider it practical to state the same reason on my application for a non-resident LTC, as i am frequently up here in MA? Or should I just apply for a hunting or sporting license to be able to own and buy guns in MA? I plan to buy some hunting land in NH or ME and would need to transport my guns from my house here to there.

    One other issue is that 25 years ago I was arrested for 3rd degree assault (a misdemeanor) after defending my then-girlfriend from someone who was about to hit her with a rebar. The charge was ACD’s and the record expunged after 90 days. I think that I need to reference it on my application.

    I heard that it’s easier to get a non-resident MA LTC if you own a business in the state. Is this true? I’ve retired after teaching public school in NYC for 31 years and plan to transfer my business to MA.

    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 16:29h, 06 January Reply

      Hello. As far as the reason for the non-resident LTC, I’d recommend putting down something more like “I am a law-abiding citizen and desire to have the ability to carry a firearm for personal defense while in the state of MA.” Unless you come into contact with prisoners in the same fashion as your wife, you wouldn’t be able to use her reason for your license. This should be covered in more detail in the safety course you’ll have to take. I wouldn’t recommend going for a hunting license since that wouldn’t allow you to carry a handgun. That’s covered by the LTC. Now the assault charge may be an issue while applying. If is was categorized as domestic assault and battery, and the finding was guilty, that will disqualify you from getting a license. Anything else there is some wiggle room but you’ll need to disclose this charge on your licensing paperwork. It is easier to get a license in MA if you have a business in the state, but the out-of-state license is pretty easy to get on it’s own right. So I wouldn’t worry too much about that.

  • Stephen George Lamade
    Posted at 16:59h, 06 January Reply

    Thanks for the advice. The assault charge wasn’t anything domestic, simply a case of watching someone push my girlfriend from behind with a raised rebar in other hand during a traffic dispute. I was on the sidelines, not participating, and had to get in the way. It kinda went sideways from there but no one got hurt beyond some scraped knees and it was a misdemeanor charge. I have a copy of the police report and the ACD paperwork.

    I guess that I’ll just start the process and go from there. Took the safety course last night.

    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 09:53h, 07 January Reply

      You’re welcome. Good luck.

  • Brandon
    Posted at 20:13h, 01 March Reply

    So I have a permit in my own state, but when I was 22 I got arrested. It was tossed out and completely removed from my record, and I still have a current permit in my state, and have renewed without an issue. The non resident permit asked if you have ever been a defendant in court, but mine was tosses out, do I still need ro say yes? And if so will this effect me getting the mass permit

    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 23:34h, 02 March Reply

      Hello. Regardless of weather or not the case was tossed, you still went before a judge as a defendant in a criminal matter. The MA licensing process requires you to disclose this information on your application. It likely won’t affect the licensing process, but if you fail to disclose they will likely deny your application.

  • Susan Barlow
    Posted at 12:57h, 01 April Reply

    I am a 70 year old female with a license to carry in Pennsylvania. This September, 5 of us females over 70 are going to be traveling to Boston and throughout the Cape. With everything going on in the USA now, Is it possible for me to obtain a license to carry in Massachusetts strictly for personal protection.

    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 18:22h, 02 April Reply

      We do have a non-resident licensing process, but you would need to take a MA gun safety course prior to applying and I don’t know who you’d be able to take that with since you are in PA. If you can find someone certified to provide the MA licensing form, then you would be able to apply as a non-resident.

  • Michael DiBiasio
    Posted at 12:35h, 03 April Reply

    The fee for a non-resident is ridiculously expensive @ $100.00 for one year. Getting it takes forever with Covid. I applied for my renewal in September. I got the permit in February.

    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 11:08h, 04 April Reply

      Congrats on the renewal!

  • John scavotto
    Posted at 21:14h, 24 April Reply

    I live in ct and what to get a license to carry in mass where would i go to get such permit

  • C$
    Posted at 15:54h, 04 May Reply

    Will be moving to NH with a current MA LTC (Unrestricted) The MA Firearms Bureau did say that I would NOT need to re-take a safety course but just scan my current LTC and include it with the paperwork. The rest of the process is the same. $100 renewal each year.

  • Michael
    Posted at 10:00h, 16 May Reply

    I am a Florida resident with a conceal carry permit for Florida. I also own a seasonal home in Massachusetts. What are the part-time resident fire arm laws for keeping a firearm in my out of state residence such as Massachusetts? Am I legally allowed to keep a firearm in my out of state residence for protection, while I’m there?

    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 09:43h, 17 May Reply

      As long as you have an out-of-state license you can keep a firearm in your MA home. You just have to ensure it is properly secured.

  • Glori
    Posted at 19:25h, 29 May Reply

    I have a current MA unrestricted LTC but I’m moving to NH. I have to apply for a non-resident LTC because we still work in MA and I fully intend to CC.. can I not carry in MA until I get my non-resident even though I have a current LTC?

    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 18:19h, 31 May Reply

      You won’t be able to apply for the non-resident license until you officially have moved out of MA. Once you do that you’ll likely have to reapply as a non-resident. You won’t be able to carry in MA until you have the non-resident license because you won’t be a MA resident.

  • James
    Posted at 14:22h, 29 July Reply

    I currently use a Beretta PX4 Storm in .45 ACP as my primary carry gun in Michigan. I’m expecting to be employed in MA for a political campaign next year, thus I intend to apply for the LTC. Would I be able to carry this firearm once issued the LTC? Also, any chance of MA recognizing my home state permit to fulfill the training requirement only? (obviously there’s no reciprocity)

    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 15:59h, 11 August Reply

      Hello James. MA doesn’t recognize any other state permits, even as training. So you will need to take a basic safety course as soon as you arrive. You can bring the gun with you but you need to be licensed before you can carry it or take it out of the home. Once you have the proper license, there is no problem carrying that firearm. There is a small grace period that you can have the firearm and be unlicensed, but that needs to be a priority as soon as you are a resident. Look us up once you get in and get into a class!

  • Antoine D Warren
    Posted at 20:39h, 04 August Reply

    I have a MA LTC with target and hunting restrictions. How would I go about getting clearance to utilize my license for work purposes such as security.

    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 16:01h, 11 August Reply

      Hello Antoine. You’ll need to discuss that with your local police department since they have the capability to remove restrictions. Things like additional training can help your case, especially if you want to get into the security field. I’d recommend reaching out, see what they say, and then start getting some training such as our Pistol Skill Builder series and Use of Force/Home Defense/Concealed Carry classes. Those will help you. Good luck!

  • Michael DiBiasio
    Posted at 05:38h, 05 August Reply

    Your employer (or yourself if privately owned) must send a letter to the issuing agency on company letterhead alerting them to the change in situation and requesting a change in restrictions for work purposes.

  • Ron Berube
    Posted at 11:32h, 03 March Reply

    How do I confirm that a company or instructor has been certified by the Mass State Police to teach the Basic Pistol Course Massachusetts Nonresident CCW? I called the state police and they told me they do not have a list

    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 20:01h, 04 March Reply

      You can request the instructor provide his MA State BFS credentials. There will be a certification number on the certificate they provide for the course.

  • Jackie Smith
    Posted at 16:46h, 19 March Reply

    Brief background info …
    Hello, I am a Rhode Island resident, Landlord carrying cash. My boyfriend (who lives in Massachusetts) already has his FID for many years and he wanted to get his MA LTC and asked me if I wanted to join him in the class so I did. I then applied for a Massachusetts non-resident LTC.

    My boyfriend received his LTC. I received a letter scheduling my appointment.

    In the interim, we both signed up for the Utah LTC, and have since both received our UTAH licenses.

    We both joined a gun club for practicing our skills.

    Next, I will apply for my home state Rhode Island LTC.

    I frequently travel back and forth between Rhode Island and Massachusetts.

    My questions …
    Since my MA appointment is coming up in a few weeks, I am wondering if you think there will be any issues receiving my MA LTC since I don’t already have my home state RI LTC but I do have a Utah LTC?

    Also, what kind of questions can I anticipate during the MA LTC appointment?


    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 16:25h, 21 March Reply

      Hello. You may be delayed getting the out of state MA LTC since you don’t have one in RI yet. But they may push it through, so don’t skip the appointment. They’ll likely just ask basic questions about your background at the appointment, maybe the reason why you are looking for the license. Just be truthful and don’t worry too much about it. Good luck!

  • Jeff Noble
    Posted at 22:26h, 24 March Reply

    Hello, I live most of the time in New York State but visit and stay in Florida often and for lengthy periods of time. I have a New York State Driver License. I also have a Florida Concealed Firearm License which, as usual, allows me to carry a concealed handgun at any time. I’ve recently applied for my New York State Concealed Carry Pistol Permit as well but the process is a long one. Basically, I’m just in line waiting for my application to be approved and license issued since all my paperwork is in order and I live in a New York county where approval will not (or should not) be a problem for me. I plan to spend summers in outdoor rural MA areas beginning this year (2022) and will be shopping with my wife for rural land to buy to eventually build a home on. I’m 66 years old and want to be able to legally defend myself in MA should the undesirable need ever arise in MA. Since I plan to be in MA rural areas for about 5 months this year and every year going forward, I desire to have a MA Concealed Carry Pistol Permit. Can I just apply to MA now as a Non-Resident living in NYS? Or must I wait for my NYS license to come in first? Remember, I already have a Florida license and I just learned I’m soon to receive my Utah license as well. I took the MA Safety Class last month so I have the required certificate. Your guidance and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 15:52h, 25 March Reply

      Hello. You don’t have to be licensed in your home state before you can apply for the MA LTC. But if you have a license for your primary residence, which sounds like FL, then you should be all set. They’ll look more favorably on the application.

  • Jeff Noble
    Posted at 22:42h, 24 March Reply

    PS: I have my Application for MA Non-Resident License to Carry all ready to be mailed right now with everything in an envelope. I had planned to mail it tomorrow (Fri 3/25/2022) but happened to come across your website and began reading readers’ comments. Suddenly I’m wondering if I might be wrong or wasting my time to apply to MA right now without having my NYS Permit, although I do have my Florida permit as stated. Would you be so kind as to respond to my previous post ASAP? I’m going to hold off mailing my MA Non-Resident Application to Carry Concealed until I hear back from you. Many many thanks!

    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 15:52h, 25 March Reply

      I believe you asked a similar question already, in which case see that answer. Thanks.

  • Jeff Noble
    Posted at 22:19h, 26 March Reply


  • Russell Lawson
    Posted at 05:08h, 06 April Reply

    Hey Rob , my question is that I live in NY city and do not have a LTC here . I have land in Lanesborough Massachusetts with nothing on it. Can I still get a non-resident LIC ? If so where can I legally keep the gun ? Much tks .

    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 19:01h, 13 April Reply

      You can get a non-resident LTC in MA regardless of land ownership. You’ll have to keep the gun at your primary residence in NY however. Hope that helps.

  • Philip perrella
    Posted at 10:56h, 14 July Reply

    I held a mass ltc for years, moved into CT and hold a license in CT. I work and have family in ma so 50% of my time is spent there. Should I have an issue obtaining my non resident?

    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 15:13h, 22 July Reply

      You likely won’t have a problem. The process is pretty simple.

  • Anthony Catizone
    Posted at 13:20h, 19 October Reply

    hi my name tony c. i have held a mass non resident licence for 5 years hold licence in 4 states sent my paperwork 3 months ahead of time i only want a renual on my mass licence it should not take 8 months to get i feel their discrimination against me its never took this long.

    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 10:13h, 20 October Reply

      Licensing has been taking longer than normal lately, even for renewals. If you legitimately feel that you are being discriminated against your best bet would be to obtain legal counsel. Good luck.

  • Francisco Deltoro
    Posted at 10:20h, 21 November Reply

    I had my non resident mass permit. eventually it expire and failed to renew it a few years ago. I am looking at renewing it now. When I took the course I was informed of a specific phrase to put down as the main reason for applying for my non resident gun permit. It was mainly for self protection. Would you know what that phrase would be.

    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 21:12h, 21 November Reply

      “All lawful purposes” is pretty much the catch-all phrase.

  • Jeff
    Posted at 11:22h, 21 November Reply

    Don’t have a phrase for you but do have a reminder: Whatever you’re thinking of writing has likely been impacted by the June 2022 Supreme Court Ruling (“Bruen case”). So, best you seek current guidance from a qualified source/resource/class/etc since there may be a better or more advisable or easier way to phrase it today. Good Luck.

    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 21:15h, 21 November Reply

      This article was posted several years ago, so likely some notes aren’t going to hold up. For MA, at least, the process remains the same except that the license is likely even easier to obtain.

  • Raymond A Licameli
    Posted at 17:16h, 28 November Reply

    Yes I have a concealed carry permit in the state of New Jersey I also have a Florida concealed permit and a Pennsylvania one how do I start to get my Massachusetts concealed carry permit reason I’m asking this as I have family in Massachusetts and I do go back-and-forth several times a year

  • Jean
    Posted at 21:17h, 06 January Reply

    I have a Employment to carry a gun but want to change it to non residents to carry a gun in Massachusetts how can I do that

    • Jeff - TacDyn Instructor
      Posted at 10:44h, 11 January Reply

      You should contact the Firearms Records Bureau to see if you can have your license adjusted or if you need to reapply.

Post A Comment